Monday, January 21, 2008

Morocco Part I

A view from the terrace and the picture above is one of the rooms in my riad
The view on the way home
More of the way home
The poor donkey
The Koutoubia, the best known symbol of Marrakech
Follow the yellow brick road: lost in the souk
A quick souk peek
The central court of the Musee de Marrakech, a former hammam
The central court
Another view of the central court
The chandelier hanging over the central court
The unique hallway leading to the central court
Inside the Ben Youssef Medersa
A closer view of the tile
The dome of the prayer hall
The facades with their tiling, stucco and carved cedar
A closer view of the stucco
Leading to students' rooms, in use until 1962
My window view
The great courtyard
Carved cedar on the surrounding facades
Koubba El-Badiyin
The mosque and buildings across the street
The top of the dome
The underside of the dome, a floral motif within an octagon within an eight point star
Inside the bottom of the dome
Brickwork
More of the below street level ruins
The top of the dome
In the Place Jemaa El Fna
One of the souks
My stop everyday at the Cafe du France for cafe au lait
The end of a most tiring but a most wonderful day

7 comments:

Cuidado said...

I was hoping you would have some photos of your trip. They're fabulous. I'm armchair traveling this year.

Kat said...

Thanks Cuidado,
I'm hoping to post some each day for the next couple. That digital camera made me a snapping monster.

SheilMack said...

Great pictures so far, Kat. The details are fantastic when I blow them up in size. I feel like I'm going through the pages of a National Geographic. When do we stop for a cafe au lait?

Kat said...

Thanks Sheila,
We did already, just before we headed home. On the table in front of me, you can ever see the remnants of mint tea in the tea glasses.

Anonymous said...

wow amazing pics!!

Kat said...

Thanks, JT
Glad you dropped by to visit!

Kelly said...

Such a nice pictures! I felt like I came back to Morocco. I visited it last year and was deeply impressed. Especially “Djemaa al Fna” which comes alive during the day with acrobats, water sellers, dancers and musicians and by night becomes a huge outdoor restaurant, with numerous food stalls selling traditional Moroccan cuisine. I saw the major cities where capital growth has been at its highest – most notably, Casblanca, Fes, Marrakech and Tangier. Areas along the Mediterranean coast are expected to be the next boom – prices for Morocco property are currently very low.

free hit counter
Foot Locker Coupon